Pages

Friday, March 4

Learning Journal: 2/28-3/4

We took this week off. =)

I did have Rebekah do Key to Fractions, Book #1: pages 1-4. And realized that she is retaining ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from Teaching Textbooks. She rarely got under a 90% for the lesson, but apparently there's just something about the program that she's not getting. I don't really know what to do.

I also introduced her to Fred. She's fallen in love! =) I found some books for multiplication and division (plus a few other concepts) that seem similar to Fred. I'm toying with the idea of having her do those 2 books before trying to move on.




Stanley F. Schmidt, author of Life of Fred, claims that the upper level books are complete. Cathy Duffy, on her review website, placed Life of Fred under "Math" not "Math Supplements." This leads me to believe that maybe they are! I know that there is a lot of controversy about this, but I've got 2-3 years to decide.

2 comments:

  1. We are using Fred for the second year--I do feel they are a supplement. There just doesn't seem to be enough practice to make them a complete program. I've heard the high math ones have supplemental books with extra problems in them--perhaps that takes them out of the supplemental catorgy. I'm not sure--I've only looked at the Fraction, Decimal, and Pre-Algebra/Biology books. Perhaps in 2-3 years, the lower level books will have the supplements added to them for that extra practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were going to pick one subject to do on our week off, it would be math and it sounds like y'all found fun stuff to do!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are a honeycomb:
sweet to the taste and health to the body.
~ Proverbs 16:24