Pages

Friday, December 5

Homemade Laundry Detergent

This whole thing got started Monday night when I watched 17 Kids and Counting on TLC. The Duggar Family makes their own Laundry Soap. I had toyed with the idea of trying it for a while, but after she said that the batch they make costs about $2 I made my decision. Also, I had no idea how EASY it actually is. The only problem is that their recipe is WAY TOO BIG. :) So I did a little research and found quite a few sites. Tip Nut has 10 different variations on one  page, but this is the one that I actually followed.

Here's what you need. Washing Soda, Borax, and soap. 



Fels Naptha is the most highly recommended, but I couldn't find it and I already had Ivory. After all was said and done, I found some Octagon. I'm going to try it the next time.

Ingredients:
1/3 bar soap
1/2 C. Washing Soda
1/2 C. Borax

On the website she said to use a full bar if using Ivory. I didn't read that until AFTER I had made mine. It came out just fine and washes better than the commercial stuff! So, 1/3 of a bar of Ivory soap is the same as 1/2 C. after it has been shredded.

Then just follow the instructions and voila!!



... enough soap to last a LONG TIME!! I've already washed 3 loads (at 1/2 C. per load), and I'm loving the results.

The first load was my husbands work clothes. (He is a welder, they get very very very dirty.) I wanted a true test. I have never gotten his clothes that clean with any commercial detergent that I have ever used.

Let me know if you usually make your own. Or if you made some after you read my post! :)

5 comments:

  1. Audrey, I will absolutely have to try this now!! :)
    I've thought about it before but was afraid it would not get my clothes clean. Since you've tested it, now I can give it a go!! ;)
    I hope you have a fabulous week-end!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the same episode!! Now I want to try.... *Ü* I think we will once our currect soap is empty...

    Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that episode also and was surprised that she hadn't made her own detergent from the start. I use the powder version. I kept messing up on the liquid only to find out that it could be used mixed as a dry powder detergent. Happy Washing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make this soap myself several years ago. I had forgotten abou it! I loved using it and it's incredibly cheap! It worked great on cloth diapers too, without creating issues for my children who have really sensitive skin! Thanks for posting this, I am going to get my stuff back out (yes, I still have it all) and stop buying the high priced, highly chemical stuff at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this too. :) No idea what show that is as we don't watch television, but it sounds good if they make their own detergent! My batch costs just 83 cents. And we used to have to buy the brands that were dye free due to son's allergies. And those aren't cheap. Good for you for trying it. Oh, and our clothes get quite clean and smell great. :o) Life is good!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are a honeycomb:
sweet to the taste and health to the body.
~ Proverbs 16:24