Pages

Friday, January 18

KONOS, Week 2

I hate to say it, but our second week did not go as well as the first. I don't really feel like we did anything. This week our focus was on Kings and Queens. I specified it a little more by staying in England. My Memaw (mom's mom) came from England when she was 22 (1954), and I want my kids to have pride in their heritage.

Monday: We read King/Queen related Nursery Rhymes, one in particular was Sing a Song of Six Pence about Henry VIII. We read a kids biography on Queen Elizabeth II and talked about the basic geography of England.

Tuesday: Read lots of poems by Shakespeare, actually they were excerpts from his plays. We read a book about England that had a basic History included. They watched the Backyardagins movie, "Tale of the Mighty Knights." It was cute, but I can't stand the Backyardagins. :)

Wednesday: I read a page about general characteristics of the Medieval period. B and I read a biography on Queen Elizabeth I. Then she copied a poem that the Queen wrote while she was imprisoned by her sister.

Thursday: We read about King Richard I, Richard the Lionhearted, from SOTW v2.

Friday: We read about Robin Hood from SOTW v2 and colored a picture of him.

* * * * * * * * *

Everything else has been going great. I ordered "Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons" from Rainbow Resource. In the mean time we are using a Library copy. We've finished the first two lessons.

Oh, and we've started reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everything went well to me. My kiddos would have loved that theme. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really enjoyed our KONOS unit on Kings & Queens but not every week is wonderful. Sort of like we need to eat everyday but not every meal is a favorite... :)
    Keep up the learning!
    Lee (from the WTM board)
    PS Loved Voyage of the Dawn Treader!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are a honeycomb:
sweet to the taste and health to the body.
~ Proverbs 16:24