- Day 1 (vv3-5): God created light and divided it from the darkness. (Day and Night)
- Day 2 (vv6-8): God divided the waters and created the atmosphere.
- Day 3 (vv9-13): God created the seas, the earth, and vegetation.
- Day 4 (vv14-19): The sun, moon, and stars were created.
- Day 5 (vv20-23): God created the sea creatures and the birds.
- Day 6 (vv24-31): God created land animals and then He created a man and a woman in His image.
Now, let's look at the chronology of chapter 2.
- And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground.... Gen 2:7
- And the Lord God said, "It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him." Gen 2:18
- Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. Gen 2:19a
- But for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him. Gen 2:20b
- Then the rib which the Lord God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. Gen 2:22
I was brought up believing that Genesis 2 was just a simpler retelling of Genesis 1. I have since come to the realization that this cannot be true. In chapter 2, God created Adam THEN land animals and birds THEN Eve. In chapter 1, birds were created on Day 5 and people weren't around until Day 6. God's Word is perfect and holds no contradictions. If "all scripture is given by inspiration of God" (2 Tim 3:16), then why would He let it be wrong? Simple, He wouldn't. Think about it, if your child decided to write a biography about you, would you let it be published if it was wrong? Even if it was something as "minute" as the year you were married? Or the day of the week you were born on?