Pages

Sunday, October 26

More and more like Charlotte

When *B* was ready to start 1st grade I realized that I had no clue what I was doing! So, I read The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. It was exactly what I needed, something to tell me what to teach and when to teach it. I don't think I would be where I am, without having read that book.

Since then, I've almost completely come away from Classical Education. My style is definitely eclectic (as many homeschoolers are) but more specifically I like to say that I am a good mixture of Ruth Beechick and Charlotte Mason with a splash of Classical Education.

I've recently added Ambleside Online's literature. (We are ready to begin week 2.) Next week, I am also adding Composers, Artists, and Hymns. We had been doing a Picture Study, but I chose pictures I had lying around the house. I'm all out now. :) We will be using Module 1 from each category found here: Simply Charlotte Mason.

I started late, so we will be doing our "chunks" in 6 weeks instead of 8. Here is what we will be studying from November - January. Composers: Bach & Mozart; Artists: Claude Monet & Christian Riese Lassen; Hymns: I Sing the Mighty Power of God & O Come, All Ye Faithful.

Edited: I decided to wait on the artist John James Audubon until we start our study of birds in Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so similar to me Audrey. I am definitely eclectic which is a label I avoided for a long time. Eclectic almost sounds like someone who can't make up their mind-lol!! But I love the Beechick method of language and dictation and my heart has always been tugged in the CM direction. We're using Ambleside a little more now too-sort of getting our feet wet so to speak. I have tried to implement more composer and artist study. In the past we would start then drop it when things got busy. Hopefully I'll be able to stick with it. :)
    This was a very good post Audrey!

    ReplyDelete

Pleasant words are a honeycomb:
sweet to the taste and health to the body.
~ Proverbs 16:24